Sunday, September 13, 2015

What's with the all the hugely overblown football movies?

My long suffering spouse loves football.

I don't hate it, I just can't develop an interest in it.

But my patience with football movies is strained to the extreme.

One of the things that I don't get is the plethora of simply over the top football movies. As my spouse likes the games, she likes the movies, so when they are on television, they're on here, even if we have seen them a million times.

The age of melodrama may be over in all other forms of movies, but not in football movies.  Villains no longer tie damsels to tracks, women don't faint at the sight of violence, war films are cynical even when patriotic, but football movies are the exception.

The coaches are so noble that the films encroach on being hagiographies.  In an era when we've seen real coaches reputations tainted by icky scandals, they aren't in football movies.  The players are noble in the extreme, and rise above adversity in a way that used to be the case for boxing movies.

Sigh.

What happened to The North Dallas Forty?

No comments: