Thursday, May 28, 2015

Summer rules

Recently I saw a bit of a debate on church appropriate clothing, which somehow reminded me of the topic of court appropriate clothing, which I've referenced here quite a few times.  As time goes on, as noted, it lawyer office wear becomes more and more informal, but coat and tie remain the norm for court itself.

But at one time, the coat was dispensed with in the summer.

I don't know what caused me to recall this, but even when I first was practicing law, there were "summer rules" for appearing in chambers. That is, for arguing motions in front of the judge in his chamber.

We don't even argue in chambers anymore.  After 9/11 brought in a new concern for court security, the old habit of arguing in chambers largely ended (although here and there it's still around) and all arguments were moved to courtrooms.  I appreciate the few remaining exceptions, as that seems a better way to handle motions, when the chambers are adequate to allow for that, and they usually are.

At any rate, back some 25  years ago, during the summer, "summer rules" applied.  Shirt and tie only.  Indeed, I later learned that at one time there were written rules for court clothing, and the summer rules were actually written.

I don't know how far they went back, but I suspect they existed because at one time some of those courthouses were pretty hot in the summer.  Only one has been that way in my experience, the district courthouse in Lusk, which at one time lacked air conditioning in the courtroom and chambers.

The Niobrara County Courthouse, the thread on which remains freakishly popular here.  The windows of the chambers are visible in the upper right of the photo.

My guess, and hope, is that air conditioning has since been added.  At that time, however, it didn't have it. And it didn't have heat in the courtroom in winter either.

Now, of course, the temperature of darned near every official building is pretty controlled, and "summer rules" are largely forgotten, although I'll occasionally here them referred to by we old timers. 

No comments: