Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Cold Then and Now: CST; December no colder.


The Casper Star Tribune reports today that, in spite of a common perception to the contrary:

[D]ata from the National Weather Service shows the weather system that brought sub-zero temperatures this past week to Wyoming wasn't unusual. Weather service meteorologist Chris Jones poured over decades of temperature data and said that, despite conventional wisdom, Decembers have not been getting warmer in Wyoming.
I'll admit I'm in the surprised category.  My recollections matches that of the person interviewed (whom I slightly know) who recalled it being colder, or at least snowier, than presently.  That person recalled that there seemed to be snow here all winter long, and that's basically my recollection too. The meteorologist claimed that people recall cold exceptional winters, but tend not to recall the more average ones.  Perhaps that's correct.

No comments: