Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Trout fishing on the North Platte

My father was a great fisherman.

 My father and I, at a fish hatchery, in about 1966 or 1967.

And by "great," I mean great in every sense.  He was very good at fishing.  He was patient teaching fishing (a hard thing to do).  And he loved fishing.  The one and only time I ever recall him writing to a politician followed an oil spill in the North Platte, when he felt that the Governor we had at the time was failing to do enough to have the company that caused the spill be held responsible for the situation.

My father liked to hunt as well, but fishing was a greater passion for him.  I like to fish, but hunting is much more of a passion with me.  As I grew older there were plenty of instances in which I rode along with him in the fall, so that I could hunt while he fished, and then later there were some instances in which he rode with me so that he could fish, while I hunted.  This is not to say that we didn't do both, but the strong nature of the mutually shared interests was slightly reversed in our personalities.

I fished pretty regularly up until I went to college. At that time, living in Laramie, I fished much less as Laramie, at 7,200 feet in elevation, is not great fishing country.  I fished a bit in the Laramie River, but never with much success. And I fished a bit with a friend of mine in the Snowy Range, which was much better, even if the season was pretty short, given the high altitude.  Waterfowling was better around Laramie, although it's not ideal with that.  Of course, quite a few people go big game hunting in the area.

When I came back from Laramie, after going there in two blocks, once for my undergraduate degree from the University of Wyoming, and once for my JD I started fishing in the mountains once again.  I didn't resume fishing the river, like my father had done, however, in this immediate area.  I'm not sure why, but it's probably because I mostly fly fish.  All this is by way of introduction to note that I went fishing on Good Friday with my daughter out in one of the locations that my father had frequented.

I'm pleased to note that the fishing was pretty good. We were bait (worm) fishing, and she caught a very nice Rainbow Trout.  I caught a lesser Rainbow, and added to the Rainbow that she had caught ice fishing last month, we had three very nice fish for our Good Friday dinner.  They were excellent.  So, I have no complaints about the conditions of that part of the river over the intervening 25 or so years that I'd fished there.

I also will not claim, as posts of this type are so often inclined to do, that the area had been somehow ruined in the quarter century by the infusion of a lot of extra people.  Frankly, I had expected to have a hard time finding a spot to fish, given that it was a day that a lot of people have off (one of the very few non civil holidays that is frequently observed as a day off).  There weren't that many people fishing from the side of the river at all.  Only one party was in the immediate vicinity, and that would have been normal at any time that I've fished it.

What did catch me way off guard, however, was the incredible volume of drift boats.

Drift boats either didn't exist, or they didn't exist locally to much of an extent, when I last frequented the river.  Indeed, "fishing guides" didn't exist either.  Now they do in profusion.  For that matter, "catch and release" didn't exist as a local concept either.  Up on the mountain streams, where I normally go, they don't exist to me, as I don't run into hardly anyone, so all that was an introduction into the evolution of modern fishing.  For lack of a better word, and without meaning to insult, I might note that its sort of the yuppiefication of fishing, or perhaps the gentrification of fishing.  

When I learned to fish as a boy, fishing wasn't a "sport" as people sort of imagine it now.  Indeed, neither hunting or fishing were, or frankly at their essence now, are "sports."  They're activities of a much deeper nature than that.  When a person hunts or fishes, they're really engaging in a type of work that's the most basic and natural for humans, of which there are  a bare few.  That's probably what drives the impulse in people to do them, and for those who do not, there remains, in spite of what they might want to tell themselves, the same basic instinct, for which they find some, probably inadequate, substitute. 

Because of that, in this locality, at that time, there was something much more primeval, and perhaps much more genuine, about fishing.  People were happy to catch a nice fish, but we ate them.  Indeed, people let fish go, but they were generally small fish that were too small to eat. The entire catch and release thing that some people engage in now didn't exist, and to me it still seems very strange.

The idea of a guide for fishing also seems very strange to me.  Fishing would be something that people would know how to do, and not need a guild for.  While we were fishing the other day, the kids and I observed as a party of fishermen with a guide went by, with the guide offering casting advice.  They noted that a fish jumped up right behind them, unobserved by them all, while they were being so guided, which they found amusing.  I do not begrudge the guilds their occupation at all, it just seems odd to me.

My rude primitiveness is probably reflected in my gear at that.  I haven't bought any new fishing gear for myself in at least 30 years.  My father had a lot of nice fishing stuff, but not massively expensive stuff, and I'm still using it.  What we would have regarded as "nice" would probably horrify some now.  Indeed, I went through a store a few months back to look at rods and was stunned by the price. Granted, these were in a store featuring Orvis rods, but still, I was amazed.  A person can, however, get much cheaper ones that are still quality.

And they are very nice too, I might add.  I have bought rods and reels for my kids, and they're great compared to the old stuff I've been using.  I was using a fiberglass rod that was first rate when my father bought it, probably 30 or more years ago, but it's not anywhere near as nice as the carbon rod I bought my son for a quite reasonable price.  I may need to go out and upgrade.  Indeed, I'll apparently have to, as I found over the weekend that I couldn't find my spinning rod.  I think I may have actually broken it last year, but at any rate, I have no idea where it is, if I still have it.  The reel was pretty busted up and the rod pretty darned old, so this is really no great loss.  I'll be looking at buying an Ugly Stick, which is what my son's nice rod is, which I used on Good Friday and really liked.

Anyhow, my point is not to complain about the evolution in fishing, or about the guides. Actually, I'm glad that the river is now seen as an important resource of that type, and I'm happy that there are people who can make a living from fishing.  And I have no doubt that much of the new gear is pretty darned good, and that my old rods and reels are antiquated and now in need of some updating.  The disappearance of my spinning rod (or actually rods) is probably a blessing.  But I am a bit concerned about the gentrification of something that's so basic in origin.  At some point, that's bad.  

Fly fishing in particular seems to have acquired a certain snottiness in some quarters.  I have no idea how that occurred.  This wasn't the case, at least locally, when I was younger, and frankly I don't recall it being the case in general until after the move A River Runs Through It.  That film is a great film, but it seemed to ironically inspire a certain class of fishing elitist.  I note that its a true irony, as the fly fishing culture depicted in the film was simply the rural culture of the entire West well into the 20th Century, and frankly in a lot of it right up to now.  The film, after all, depicts two brothers from modest means for whom fly fishing (the only kind of fishing depicted in the film) is a major activity.  Lots of people from around here, of all backgrounds, experience the very same thing.  But following the film there came to be a certain high end fly fishing "sport" view that is a bit snobby about other types of fishing.  There's even at least one local lodge that offers fly fishing tours for out of state fishermen.

That sort of Balkanization and elevation of the elite, in an endeavor such at this, is a bit disturbing.  The older generation of fishermen, myself included, did every kind of fishing.  I have always preferred fly fishing, but that's because I like mountain streams.  My father was a great fly fisherman, but he was a great fisherman in general.  We also used spinning reels with bait (worms) and lures.  One of my uncles, another great fisherman, always had boats and it was a great treat to go out on the lakes with him in the summer and troll.  In other words, fishing, like food, is for everyone.  Or at least it should be.

1 comment:

Rich said...

When I was a kid, we always kept some of the fish (mostly largemouth bass) we caught and actually ate them.

As I got older, I started doing the whole "catch and release" thing to let those bass get bigger and all that. After a while, I had lost a lot of interest in fishing.

Then, when I was old enough that I was taking little kids fishing, I made the mistake of trying to get them to "let the fish go, so it could get bigger - catch and release" nonsense. Letting those fish go was making them lose interest in fishing (what was the point of catching it, if they had to let it go?), so we started keeping some fish and having a fish fry when we went fishing.

Catching a fish, cooking and eating it, and being able to share it with their family became part of the reason to go fishing, which seems like a better life lesson to me than just catching and letting a fish go just for the fun of it.

Going fishing and never killing a fish seems like going hunting and just taking pictures of animals to me.