Tuesday, July 24, 2012

When Only a Human Will Do by Froma Harrop on Creators.com - A Syndicate Of Talent

I posted an item on this on Holscher's Hub as well, and I've written on communications here before, but this is an item worth noting again, in terms of treands:

When Only a Human Will Do by Froma Harrop on Creators.com - A Syndicate Of Talent

We're all used now to listening to, and responding to, the  commands of a telephonic machine. That is, we call places, and go through the routine.  Perhaps we're not thrilled with it, but we do it.  You know the drill: "If you have a question about X, press 4, and state your name". . . and so on.

What an enormous change in expectations.

In some parts of the country people still spoke with telephone operators at the telephone exchange simply to place a call in to the 1950s.  You could always get an operator by dialing 0, and sometimes ask questions about the call you just  had.  I haven't tried to get an operator for years, but I suspect it'd be automated now.  And nobody calls an operator to place a long distance call.  Shoot, I wonder how difficult it would be to even fine an operator if you wanted to.

And I don't know that many of our predecessors of a few decades back would have tolerated a call that only involved responding to machines, which is just what I did this morning in order to determine the answer to a government payment question on a mater I was working on.

Most folks don't like this change much, and I don't frankly either.  It's always a relief when you get to speak to an actual human being.

No comments: